Assessment in key stage 3

PGCE secondary mathematics

Assessment on
Key stage 3

Contents
Page Number

Introduction 3

Students 3

Lessons 5

How the students did 6

What I have learned 8

References 9

Introduction
I followed the 3 students by 3 lessons in a year 8 set top class at the beginning of my Algebra unit of work. Have looked at target levels, I would say that most of the students in the class can handle, but there is a lack of motivation in some students find algebra irrelevant to their lives. The challenges that I feel that I encounter in teaching this class is to keep students motivated and on task, also make them listen while I speak, because I could say something 4 or 5 times and still having to repeat myself because of some students not paying attention. Also, that is probably the biggest problem, getting students to think for themselves. I have given students examples of the use of algebra, to keep them motivated. There are students in the class who are reluctant to take on new mathematical topics because it implies to some, crushing the doctrine, but then there are the students who continue to take everything on board and also come with their own procedures in responding to questions. It took me only a week to realize that students in this group need encouragement to push them towards achieving their target levels that are far above the national average of expected end of key stage 3. The three lessons I taught simplify expressions, multiplying one term over a bracket and solve equations. For this mission, I have chosen three pupils who have different abilities and contrasting personalities:

Students
Student A, Woman, find math boring and irrelevant. She finds it difficult to concentrate for more than 3 minutes at a stretch. The quality and quantity of work reflects her disinterest in the subject. She is too easily distracted with low level disturbances in the class and is a contributor to ...