Experience Working in the Community

Journal #3
07/03/2013
This week was my first endeavour working with the children from Rainbow Crèche. It was truly an eye opening experience as it highlighted the need for children, especially from disadvantaged communities, to be educated. Having come from a large family with children all around the ages of 4 and 5, I have an understanding of what a child should know at this age. It was absolutely heartbreaking to see that some of these kids, around the same ages, are unable to name basic farm animals or shapes or even colours.
It goes without saying that one community in which children spend a great deal of time is school/crèches. This crèche should be providing a more stimulating environment for these children.   From my observation I have noted that they spend a good portion of the day playing outside on the jungle gyms. Although we have learnt that a great deal of learning stems from play, if this play is constantly unstructured then it is less likely to be beneficial to the children. I think that it would be great to include the teachers at the school in our therapy programme. Although we are health professionals, we could provide the teachers at the school with the resources and knowledge about what the children can be taught to improve their abilities (vocabulary, pencil/crayon grip etc). We could even inform them about stimulating activities to use when the kids are playing on the playground.   I think that just bringing their attention to their surroundings (the colours they see, the sounds they hear) could improve their performance and ensure that they are better prepared for school. These are areas that the teachers may not be aware of thus educating them is important.
This week also highlighted the benefit of working in a transdisciplinary team. This was the first time that I had worked in conjunction with the OTs. I have an extrovert personality and consider myself to be outgoing and friendly. Although this is my nature of personality, I have to...

This is Preview only. If you need the solution of this assignment, please send us email with the complete assignment title: ProfessorKamranA@gmail.com