Summary and Response on: Anachronistic Fruits and the Ghosts Who Haunt Them

Anachronistic fruits are fruits that are living in the wrong time period, fruits that are living today that have no dispersers. There are many types of plants and fruits that are anachronistic fruits they have no dispersers today and the only way they are dispersed is by man. Anachronistic fruits’ dispersers have been extinct a long time ago. Some fruits don’t have to be dispersed by animals or by insects; they can be dispersed by the wind or by the sea. Plants that are pollinated by insects, birds, bats etc. are more vulnerable to being extinct. In contrast, plants that are dispersed by large mammals like elephants are more likely to be extinct. For example the avocado plant used to be dispersed by mammoths a long time ago, but mammoths are now extinct so for the avocado plant to be dispersed it is much harder now. The author talks about several plants that are anachronistic and plants that are not anachronistic and how they are dispersed today.

I really enjoyed reading this article. It provided me with so much new information I can use in the future. For example I realized that a plant that might be dispersed by an animal and that animal becomes extinct the plant is most likely going to be extinct. The article talked about many different plants that I did not know about and how the plants are dispersed. Not only did it teach me new plants, the article also taught me new vocabulary like the word anachronistic, which was used many times in the article. Many of the plant that the article was talking about were from the United States. The article also introduced me to many different scientists and biologists that I did not know about. The article also taught me what these scientists did.



This is Preview only. If you need the solution of this assignment, please send us email with the complete assignment title: ProfessorKamranA@gmail.com